I deployed a OTRS-based problem reporting and tracking system for my company. It allows users to send their problems in, they will be assigned a ticked id, and things are easier to track and solve in this way. The problem I had was that the ticket IDs were virtually un-quotable over the phone, being some 14 digits long. Googling around I found a discussion on Wikipedia on the same case (they’re also using OTRS), but not many solutions offered. I dug through some config options and I found that it’s possible to replace the default ticket
Go to the Admin Panel, select SysConfig link under Misc category. Then on your left, select Ticket from the Group drop-down and click “Show”. Now click on Core::Ticket link.
First option there is the so-called Hook, the prefix for all your ticket IDs. I changed it to something shorter and more related to my company than just “Ticket”.
The Ticket::NumberGenerator option is responsible for generating the ticket ID that people will see in replies to their e-mail. I changed it from “DateChecksum” to “AutoIncrement”.
Next option is Ticket::NumberGenerator::MinCounterSize, which specifies the power of ten that it will begin counting from. The default is 5 (starts from 10 000).
After changing the settings and clicking “Update” at the bottom of the page, instead of
my “customers” receive
Which is way easier to use, yay!